Re: Instead of a gripe, a memory-jog.

SJ Wright wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Sep 18 07:00, SJ Wright wrote:
Having recently by accident trashed my home folder, and having had
to rebuild from one saved from a much older install (1.7.0 or even
earlier), I noticed my man pages were again displaying with garbage
text in between the readable text -- nonprintable characters,
Unicode litter and the like. I remembered Corinna Vinschen had
posted something quite a while back in a topic thread that dealt
with this issue; I am sure it made it into the archives for this
list, but I wasn't able to find it. I vaguely recalled one detail
had something to do with setting one's environment variable to C
instead of C.utf_8 or even en_us.utf8.

Ouch. Wrong on both accounts. Either "C.UTF-8, or "C.utf-8", or "C.utf8", or "en_US.UTF-8" or "en_US.utf-8" or "en_US.utf8". Dash yes, underscore no. The territory must be written in uppercase. The User's Guide might be a good start: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html

Corinna

Yes. I noticed where I had the territory mis-cased the next time I ran wget. In the line that identified the file and URL for each download, double-quotes and other punctuation became garbage characters, where they hadn't been when I either had *no* LANG variable set or a correctly-written one. So now it's fixed. Thanks again.

SJ Wright
Spoke too soon on the wget matter. Since setting a LANG variable in the first place (and evidently the right place, or else this wouldn't be a "matter"), I've been seeing garbage text -- I prefer to call it "drone text" -- in place of quotation marks during normal (non-verbose and not set to "quiet") downloads. Here's a sample:
Saving to: ÃâÅgae77-7748-244-958stck.jpgÃâÂ
I just looked at the wget man page (which is, not remarkably, still free of drone text), and I notice there's a command that can be entered in .wgetrc that seems to sync LANG with the application's function. Or does it. I'm referring to the "local_encoding" command. It would make sense that if LANG gets changed, and an encoding-sensitive app such as wget is left "one step behind," so to speak, in that process, then there would be a command or configuration option to help it "catch up." This presumes I'm reading the man page right. I acknowledge it may have nothing to do with how wget displays the stages of the download process; I would rather know for sure that this is the case. In the meantime, I'll settle for running with the "-nv" option which may just give me clean text by some means or another. I'm thinking it won't, but that's four or five scrollback lines I'm saving at 80x36 at any rate.

Just keeping everyone apprised.

Steve W.