Re: Windows-style pathname does not work as command - why?

On 8 September 2010 17:35, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Isn't the whole reason for Cygwin actually to enable doing Unixy things
>> in Windows (that is, providing Windows/Unix interoperablity?
>
> No, that's not a key goal.ÂFrom the Cygwin main web page:
>
> Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows

Well, I (and my employer) would not be using Cygwin if it wasn't for
the Windows integration, in particular the ability to plug POSIX and
Windows programs together.

If I just wanted to run Linux software on Windows, I'd use a virtual
machine or coLinux. While Cygwin's lower resource usage is nice to
have, that's easily outweighed by the inevitable compatibility and
performance drawbacks that come with building on top of Win32.

Andy