Re: Emacs and DBUS

On 8/27/2010 10:24 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/27/2010 3:41 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Ken Brown writes:

This is also a D-Bus client, which connects to the *same* session bus as
Emacs did due to $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. Now you should see the
signal sent by dbus-monitor in Emacs.

OK, I started the session bus the right way this time, but I still didn't see any signal from dbus-monitor in Emacs. I assume I should have seen something in the echo area?

Yes. You could test whether both Emacs and dbus-monitor use the same bus by reordering the calls:

- apply dbus-launch as described
- echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
- in *another* shell, set $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS to this value, and
    start dbus-monitor
- start Emacs in the first shell, and load dbus.el. You shall see in
    the other shell output from  dbus-monitor, telling that an application
    has started. It will also tell you the name of that application, like
    ":1.2".

This doesn't happen. Is it possible that dbus.el doesn't complete its initialization because the system bus isn't running?

To partially answer my own question, I tried removing the line

(dbus-init-bus :system)

from dbus.el. The good news is that when I then load dbus.el, I do get the expected output from dbus-monitor. The bad news is that Emacs then behaves exactly as in the scenario where I start Emacs with the system bus running. Namely, it prints the trace 'xd_add_watch: fd 9' and then becomes unresponsive. All I can do is press C-g if I want to hear bells or C-x C-c to exit.

I suspect we can't go any further with this until you return from your trip and start debugging.

Ken