Re: Emacs and DBUS

On 8/25/2010 10:37 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 8/25/2010 10:02 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

On 8/24/2010 11:28 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Ken Brown writes:

After installing that library, Emacs did start. How ever, it blocks
when loading dbus.el.

Don't you normally have to start a D-BUS session before loading dbus.el? Maybe one of the Cygwin people who uses D-BUS can tell us how to do that.

I've started the session bus via dbus-launch in advance, of course. I have no idea, how to start the system bus in cygwin, 'though.

Run /usr/bin/messagebus-config and follow the instructions for installing messagebus as a service. You will need to be logged in as a user with administrator privileges for this.

Emacs' D-Bus code shall be resistent in case of absence of a bus, but
who knows ... how could I debug it via gdb?

The executable /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe is stripped; that's why you couldn't debug it. Here's a link to the unstripped version, with debug symbols:

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/emacs-nox.exe.bz2

Hi Michael,

The blocking you observed when dbus.el is loaded doesn't occur with a
build from the Emacs trunk (r101187).

Correction: It occurs if and only if the system messagebus service is running.

Ken