Re: Emacs and DBUS

On 8/25/2010 10:02 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

On 8/24/2010 11:28 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Ken Brown writes:

After installing that library, Emacs did start. How ever, it blocks
when loading dbus.el.

Don't you normally have to start a D-BUS session before loading dbus.el? Maybe one of the Cygwin people who uses D-BUS can tell us how to do that.

I've started the session bus via dbus-launch in advance, of course. I have no idea, how to start the system bus in cygwin, 'though.

Run /usr/bin/messagebus-config and follow the instructions for installing messagebus as a service. You will need to be logged in as a user with administrator privileges for this.

Emacs' D-Bus code shall be resistent in case of absence of a bus, but
who knows ... how could I debug it via gdb?

The executable /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe is stripped; that's why you couldn't debug it. Here's a link to the unstripped version, with debug symbols:

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kbrown/emacs-nox.exe.bz2

Hi Michael,

The blocking you observed when dbus.el is loaded doesn't occur with a build from the Emacs trunk (r101187). But I don't know how to test the dbus functionality after loading dbus.el. If we find it works there, maybe the problem is just a matter of backporting some patch to Emacs 23.2. Can you tell me how to test dbus in emacs? Or do you want me to send you the executable and let you test it?

Ken