Re: Bug tracker

> The question is if the maintainers really want that, and cgf and I are
> just 2 out of ~60 maintainers, maintaining over 1400 packages.  From
> these ~60 maintainers we have quite a few who either don't reply to any
> mail about their package, or who only reply after some nudging.

Agreed, but OTOH I'd guess that half of all of the bugs reported on this
list are for just two packages: cygwin and setup.exe.  If the maintainers
of those two packages think a bug tracker would be useful, we should make
one.  If they don't, it's probably not worth bothering.

> Somebody would have to set up the system and the maintainers must be
> willing to get automatic mails about issues entered into the bugtracker.

I can see a few models for notifying maintainers:

(1) Individual maintainers must each agree to receive emails, or their
packages won't be in the bug tracker.

(2) The community decides that bug tracking is important enough that anyone
who signs up to maintain a package must also agree to receive email from
the bug tracker.  Then all packages are listed in the bug tracker.

(3) Bug notifications are sent to the cygwin list, or possibly to a
separate cygwin-bugs list, instead of/in addition to the maintainers.

> How to set that up is YA question.  One category per package?  That
> doesn't sounds feasible, unless we have another, *active* maintainer
> just for keeping the bugtracker in shape.

The list of packages could be automatically fetched and turned into
categories, once a day.  If the package maintainer names & addresses could
also be automatically fetched, then they could be automatically propagated
into the bug tracker too and so much the better.

The UI would need some care.  We would NOT want a pull-down menu of 1400
categories to enter a new bug :(  An autocomplete widget for the package
names would probably work well.

Andrew.