Re: Accessing SMB shares without explicit mounting

On 08/08/2010 12:40 PM, Phil Reynolds wrote:
Quoting "Jeremy Bopp" <jeremy@bopp.net>:

It sounds like your Samba configuration requires authentication in order
to access this share.  Are you able to access the share as
\\server\share using the Windows file explorer without first mapping the
share to a drive or authenticating in some other way?  Cygwin uses
Windows to handle this sort of operation, so if Windows can't access the
share without authentication, neither can Cygwin.

If authentication is required, you'll either need to map the share to a
drive letter or reconfigure your Samba share to allow guests to have
read and possibly write access depending on your needs.

Thank you - this has pointed me in the right direction...

The main problem I've got now is how to allow write access to the share from this scenario without allowing it from outside... but I am working on that.

Might you be able to do something like:

To access the share supplying the username and password so that you can then use the UNC path proper? For example:

Pluto:net use \\\\jupiter\\Video /user:<username> <password>
The command completed successfully.

Pluto:net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

OK                     \\jupiter\Video           Microsoft Windows Network

--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If an orange is orange, why isn't a lime called a green or a lemon called a yellow?