Re: NTFS network drives in cygwin 1.7.5

On Aug  5 11:26, Gary Steele wrote:
> Dear cygwin mailing list,
>
> I recently starting using cygwin 1.7.5, and I appear to be having
> problems with file permissions on network drives.
>
> My computer (windows XP) is part of an NT domain, to which I am logged
> in. I am using the passwd and group files that were automatically
> generated at install.
>
> On the local drives, the file permissions work fine:
>
> $ ls -ld .
> drwxr-xr-x+ 1 gsteele Domain Users 0 2010-08-05 11:18 ./
>
> However, on the network drives, they are all clobbered:
>
> $ ls -ld /cygdrive/k/ns/qt/nanotubes/data
> d---------+ 1 gsteele Domain Users 0 2010-07-07 14:22
> /cygdrive/k/ns/qt/nanotubes/data

They are not clobbered, they are now actually showing the correct POSIX
permission bits based on the file ACL by default.  In Cygwin 1.5 the
default was not to use the ACLs on network drives  and to fake the
POSIX permissions (CYGWIN=nontsec).  If you want to know why the ACL
results in d---------+ permissions, I suggest to take a closer look
using getfacl.

I strongly suggest to read the new and improved 1.7 User's Guide,
especially stuff like

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#ov-hi-files
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table