Question on Java and Cygwin

We are trying to launch some Java apps from within Cygwin.  The problem
we're having is that then Java file IO operations want to use Windows paths
and use \ as the default path separator.  (This is different from classpath
problems or using cygpath to convert stuff you're passing in on the command
line).  We need to override the File.separator (path separator) so that
Java will be able to perform many file IO operations (like making a
directory).  Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks,
Ernest
UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of
this IMPORTANT information is ENCOURAGED.