Re: Slow bash tab completion update

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM, John Cromartie  wrote:
> I did 'set -vx', according to Eric Blake's advice.
>
> Tab completion appears to get hung up for a very long time on 'read -r
> tmp', but only on certain paths...

Disclaimer: I am not a shell programmer.

"read" reads from stdin (or a file descriptor) and it's probably a
blocking operation. The delay may come from the command that provides
the input. It should appear on the previous line of the -x output.

I shortened the start-up delay of my bash by removing most of
/etc/bash_completion.d/
(I don't need tab-completion for FreeCiv :)