Re: Request for feature: more flexible setup routine

On 26 July 2010 15:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Strange principle.
>>
>>It's the "Principle of Least Surprise".
>
> You can't argue that point if it would obviously surprise Andrey. ÂIt
> would surprise me too given that it would be a profound departure from
> previous behavior regardless of whether previous behavior was "right" or
> "wrong".

Yes, existing users always get shafted by UI changes (initially
anyway), so it's short-term pain vs long-term gain. But in my
ramblings I'd come down against changing the default from 'Curr' to
'Keep' anyway.

> If we wanted to do something like this I think it would have to be a
> separate dialog where the user makes a decision about what they want.
> Either that or a list of packages to update would always be presented
> so that people wouldn't be surprised.

Agreed, but of course that'd need substantial design and
implementation work, so realistically it isn't gonna happen.

Okay, detour over.

Now what about my actual proposal, which was to save the
Keep/Curr/Prev/Exp setting across setup.exe invocations?

Andy