Re: Request for feature: more flexible setup routine

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:52:48PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>#On 26 July 2010 10:32, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Andy Koppe!
>>> This makes me wonder whether Keep shouldn't be the default, on the
>>> principle that programs shouldn't do anything unless the user asks for
>>> it.
>>
>> Strange principle.
>
>It's the "Principle of Least Surprise".

You can't argue that point if it would obviously surprise Andrey.  It
would surprise me too given that it would be a profound departure from
previous behavior regardless of whether previous behavior was "right" or
"wrong".

And, just imagine the mailing list confusion:  "Did you update to the
latest version of the bushwa package?"  "Yes!  I ran setup.exe seven
times so it must be updated!  Stop being so brusque and unhelpful!"

If we wanted to do something like this I think it would have to be a
separate dialog where the user makes a decision about what they want.
Either that or a list of packages to update would always be presented
so that people wouldn't be surprised.

cgf