Re: Cygwin Performance and stat()

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 05:03:46PM -0400, NightStrike wrote:
>On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 08:54:10AM -0700, Christopher Wingert wrote:
>>>I was looking into speeding up stat() performance.  ?More specifically
>>>bash, ls, test, stat performance.  ?I've seen the subject come up
>>>before.  Git recently implemented a native Win32 work around.  ?Are
>>>there any cygwin patches around?
>>
>>If there was a way to make stat() faster why wouldn't it be in the
>>source code already?
>
>There's always room for ingenuity and improvements, isn't there?

The OP was looking for an existing patch to the source code.  If someone
is ingenuous enough to make an improvement it's hard to believe that
they wouldn't be ingenuous enough to send a patch to cygwin-patches.
Or, if they are ingenous enough but just like to lurk in the cygwin
mailing list so that they can send private email with secret patches
then I'd have to suspect the quality of the patch itself.

Otherwise, OF COURSE we'll take improvements to Cygwin if someone
provides them.  That's how free software is supposed to work.

cgf