Re: 1.7.5 cannot bg mintty

Paul wrote:
> I sometimes forget to append a & when opening a new mintty from an existing
> mintty. With rxvt this was never a problem, just ^Z and bg in the parent
> terminal (my shell is bash Â3.2.49-23). This doesn't seem to work for mintty
> (0.6.2-1) though - although it seems that the job has has been put into the
> background it never becomes possible to type anything into the newly spawned
> terminal window after ^Z has been used.
>
> If I spawn an rxvt from a mintty (or indeed an rxvt from an rxvt) using ^Z
> and bg works without any problems. I can't see anything obviously different
> in the output of stty -a between my rxvt and mintty.
>
> If I start a mintty with a &, fg it and then bg it again, the same effect
> occurs - it becomes impossible to type anything into the child mintty.

I fixed this in svn, to appear in mintty-0.7. The thread for reading
output from the child process wrongly exited when the read() call got
interrupted by a signal such as SIGSTOP.

(There's also another issue with the ^Z not taking effect immediately
due to signal handling being disabled while mintty waits for Windows
events, but that would require some fairly major restructuring to fix,
so leaving that for later. Looking at rxvt, the right thing to do is a
select() on the pty device and /dev/windows instead of mintty's
current approach using multiple threads and
MsgWaitForMultipleObjects.)

Andy