Re: bash - command - PATH question

On 5/19/2010 10:16 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
>> On 5/19/2010 8:50 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
>>> Given that 'foo' is a bash script, why is it that:
>>>
>>> $ foo
>>>
>>> returns the error:
>>>
>>> bash: ./bin/foo: No such file or directory
>
>> What happens when you directly run ./bin/foo?
>
> I get exactly the same error.  The error is correct.
> ./bin/foo doesn't exist. (I'm not in home directory when
> I issue the command.)

What is the output of:

echo $PATH

Where does bin/foo exist, and from where are you trying to run it in
these tests?

>> What is the shebang (first line) of foo?
>
> #!/bin/bash
> I thought it might have something to do with this and tried commenting
> It out but nothing changed.

I'm not aware of any way to comment out a shebang line aside from making
it not be a shebang line anymore.  In any case that line looks good,
assuming it has a Unix line ending rather than a Windows line ending.
You told Andrew that running dos2unix on foo didn't fix anything, so I
assume it has a Unix line ending.

>>> BUT since foo is *really in* PATH, e.g.,
>>>
>>> $ `which foo`
>>>
>>> runs correctly?
>
>> What is the output of "which foo" in this case?
> /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/harryr/bin/foo

Did you run "which foo" from inside your home directory or from the same
directory in which you attempted to run "foo" and "./bin/foo"?

-Jeremy