Re: Cygwin visual brand

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:18:28AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> Could Christopher and/or Corinna please weigh in on this?  There seem to be
>> a lot of ideas and energy behind this project, but I don't think the
>> discussion can go much further until we hear from them.
>>
>> Is either of you interested in having a redesign of cygwin.com?  What would
>> be your criteria for an acceptable redesign?
>
>The silence is deafening, and a bit dispiriting.  My reading of the list
>traffic on this question is there's broad agreement that a redesign is
>overdue and would provide a nice benefit to the project.  All we have to do
>is make some decisions about what we want, and we have kind offers of help
>to make it so.
>
>But I don't think we can proceed without some buy-in from the project
>co-maintainers.  If they don't want it or don't like the result, it'll go
>nowhere and be wasted effort.
>
>So my questions remain.  Christopher and Corinna, if you don't think a
>redesign is a good idea, then please tell us that.

Since you keep insisting, I'll do my usual WJM dance.  Then everyone can
disagree, recycle all of the same arguments, and demand another response.

So far, I have not really cared for either of the proposed redesigns.  I
don't think a mascot is necessary on the web site and I think that, as
messy as the current cygwin web site may be, there will be only a very
minor benefit to any redesign which just changes the layout.  When I
look at most of the popular free software projects out there they seem
to be getting by on pretty simple layouts.

That said, however, I have done some work on cleaning up the web site.
I already have something which reorganizes and clarifies the existing
design.  Corinna thinks it is still too "traditional" so I am discussing
that with her.

I sincerely hate these discussions about what's "best" about something
visual because it always devolves to self-proclaimed experts voicing
their opinions and when it comes to subjective things like web-site
layout everyone can be an expert.  The bottom line for me is that I want
something that I can maintain and I don't want to spend any of my time
tweaking and discussing with someone else about it.

I appreciate that people want to contribute.  I really do.
Unfortunately, this is not something that I'm really comfortable
accepting contributions for.

cgf