Re: permissions on dir are incorrectly ordered windows 7 and cygwin

On 5/18/2010 8:01 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/18/2010 7:45 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
On 5/17/2010 12:44 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
On 17/05/2010 16:44, Bill Hoffman wrote:

"The permissions on dir are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some
entries to be ineffective."

Does anyone have any ideas how to avoid this issue? Does anyone have an
explanation as to what is going on here? Thanks in advance.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping

Basic answer is: They're meant to be in that order, ignore windows'
complaints, and don't let it "fix" them for you.

OK, thanks. So, any reason why it would make emacs change the permissions on existing files?

I can't answer your question, but one solution would be to use Cygwin's emacs instead of the native windows emacs when working in a Cygwin environment.

But that is only tty based right? I really need a windowed tool to work with.

-Bill