Re: Getting characters to display properly in Cygwin/RXVT/man pages

On 29.04.2010 07:32, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 04/27/2010 08:51 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Additional options:

* Update groff (with setup.exe) for a man page fix.
Could you expand upon that? I believe I already have the latest groff.
Since you ran into the "weird characters for option dashes" problem, you probably don't.
The latest groff doesn't generate Unicode characters for option dashes anymore; it uses ASCII only so you wouldn't notice in 'man' if your locale environment is not set properly.

* alias rxvt="LANG=C /bin/rxvt"
Actually LANG is already set to C and that didn't fix it.
Maybe you have a older cygwin version? (In 1.7.1 "C" implied UTF-8, so try C.ISO8859-1, and update cygwin.)
Or LANG might be set as a shell variable only, not an environment variable?
Or it could be overridden by LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL.

* alias rxvt=urxvt
Don't have urxvt
If you wish to stay with rxvt for the reason you mentioned, migrate to urxvt.

I've heard much about mintty but haven't looked into it in depth. I like rxvt because it pays attention to ~/.Xdefaults. Does mintty?
No, because it's not an X application. It uses ~/.minttyrc

I was using a non-Cygwin terminal emulator called Console (IIRC). It had the nicety of being able to do transparent terminals (with some oddities). Can mintty do that?
It has the feature, although it doesn't get too transparent in my environment...

Another thing about Console that was nice is that it handled the pty issue, I believe by actually running the Windows cmd prompt window but hidden and then grabbing characters and the and translating them back to the Console window. That was nice because things like Cleartool and cqperl (with -d) worked and i use that stuff all day at work. If mintty handles that then perhaps I'll switch to that.
There have been discussions about employing a similar workaround for mintty, maybe as an add-on application, but that's up to the future.

------
Thomas