Running old cygwin.dll under Windows 7

Hello,

Apologies for what is probably such an obvious question, but some of the
utilities I wish to use do not support the latest cygwin dll.  However, I
tried running the legacy setup but Cygwin will not start, with the Windows
7 Subsystem for Unix complaining of invalid applications and .pif files.

Would anyone be able to advise how I can use an older version of cygwin
with Windows 7?  Note the legacy tried to run in Compatibility Mode with
no success.

Thanks, and please bear in mind I'm still relatively new to this.