Re: nl_langinfo returning null?

On Apr  9 16:24, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I've noticed that bsdtar.exe has been coredumping occasionally. I've
> tracked it down to a behavioral change in recent cygwin DLLs.  This line
> in bsdtar.c:
>
>           bsdtar->day_first = (*nl_langinfo(D_MD_ORDER) == 'd');
>
> causes a segfault, because nl_langinfo returns null.  However, according
> to POSIX:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/nl_langinfo.html:
>
> "In a locale where langinfo data is not defined, nl_langinfo() shall
> return a pointer to the corresponding string in the POSIX locale. In all
> locales, nl_langinfo() shall return a pointer to an empty string if item
> contains an invalid setting."
>
> Now, this doesn't always happen; I only see it when I run bsdtar.exe in
> mintty, but not if I run it in rxvt-unicode, rxvt, cmd/bash, ...
>
> So, it seems to be a weird interaction with something mintty is doing,
> and the i18n stuff, but...regardless, cygwin's nl_langinfo() should
> never return null.

I just had a look into the __set_lc_time_from_win function which fills
in the time-related data returned by nl_langinfo.  For some reason I
missed to fill in the md_order data entirely *blush*.

> FWIW, I've put a workaround in bsdtar.c, and will be uploading a new
> version shortly.

Please, don't.  I'll try to come up with a fix over the weekend and we
release Cygwin 1.7.5 soon, especially given the memory leak fix cgf
created today.

Corinna

Red Hat