Re: 1.7.3: Backspace key not working in GNU screen.

On 4/9/2010 12:30 PM, Al G. wrote:
From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"<snipped>
                               ^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  No need to feed the spammers.

To: snipped
       ^^^^^^^
Here too.

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:41:25 -0400
Subject: Re: 1.7.3: Backspace key not working in GNU screen.
And there's really no need for this repeated header information.  It's
largely content-free in the mail list thread.

On 4/8/2010 4:07 PM, Al G. wrote:

This started happening around March 23, no problems with screen before then. Since then using GNU screen (4.00.03) and trying to backspace by hitting the backspace key results in nothing happening. The cursor doesn't move, the character isn't erased and the command remains the same (if you hit Enter whatever your typo was gets the usual error). However, pressing CTRL-H does do a backspace correctly. Could this be related to the termcap changes from [^H] to [^?]? I have searched the forums and googled around; found a few hits, that didn't work, and no solutions.

I just tried screen with 1.7.4 and what you described worked fine. But I noticed your installation is incomplete and you're still running 1.7.1. Please download a new 'setup.exe' from cygwin.com and try reinstalling all of your packages. This should solve that problem at least.

I deleted my entire Cygwin installation, got setup.exe from cygwin.com and reinstalled. No change, when I launch screen everything works except for the backspace key. Pressing Ctrl-H causes a backspace. Outside of screen things are fine.

And you still have 1.7.1 installed according to your cygcheck output. Did 'setup.exe' say it was getting the new one? Perhaps you need to try a reboot before the next reinstall.

Holliston, MA 01746