Re: [Fwd: Blue screen when running installation *.sh]

High all, I'm first time here, so please excuse beginner faults.

Referring to: http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg00161.html :

> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 01/05/2010 09:29 AM, Paul Keusemann wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:03:13PM -0000, tim@lorien.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I have previously used Cygwin 1.5 successfully, but thought I should
> report a possible issue with the newer 1.7.1 version.

> My XP workstation blue screens reliably when doing the final steps of the
> Cygwin 1.7.1 installation somewhere in the /etc/postinstall/*.sh scripts.
> The blue screen indicates the problem is with ibmfilter.sys and upon

> [snip]
>
> I have run into the same problem. Output of cygcheck.out is attached.

> Same driver problem?  If so, the solution is to get the updated driver
> that fixes the bug in the driver.

> In general, Cygwin can't make workarounds for all the bugs in all the drivers
> that are out there. On occasion, it *may* make sense for Cygwin to workaround
> Windows kernel bugs, since these could affect everyone, not just those who
> have this or that buggy driver. But really, even in this case, the best solution
> is to fix it at the source. Otherwise, the bug will just bite you again when you
> do some other operation with some other app.
>

> According to Lenovo:
> IBMFILTER.SYS may cause a Stop Error Message, or Microsoft Windows may stop responding with an error message on a blue screen, or the system may restart just after the error message.
>
> *Affected configuration*
>
> Any of the following systems with an installed version of 2.00.0170 or older of the Rescue and Recovery software and running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP:

Mine: ThinkPad R52

I have a newer version of the Rescue and Recovery software on my Windows XP SR-3, 2.02.0178, but have exatly that problem
anyway after installing latest CYGWIN 1.7.4-1 while postinstall.

Is there any idea, what I alternativly can do ?

Greg Cicares suggested:
> Google shows that 'ibmfilter.sys' causes BSODs with many applications.
> As a workaround, you might try rebooting into "safe mode" (to prevent
> that driver from loading), then running the postinstall scripts in
> that environment.

Does anybody have had success after rebooting into "safe mode" as Greg Cicares suggested ?
Aren't there any risks, doing that?

How to start the postinstall scripts manually ?

Thanks,

-Ulf