Re: How to uninstall Cygwin/X (only)

On 4/8/2010 8:13 PM, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> I think the problem here is that the cycle goes from
>
>   Default -> Install -> Reinstall -> Uninstall
>
> Upon that first transition to Install, all the packages in that category
> are requested for installation, along with all their
> dependencies. Continuing through the cycle to finally reach Uninstall
> does not undo the earlier damage from the transition to Install; many of
> the packages added by Install are not removed by Uninstall. Try it and
> see. It's a trap.
>
> Trying to coordinate this process among the X11, Gnome, KDE, and any
> other X-related categories isn't possible. There's no way to jump
> straight from "current installed state" to Uninstall without first
> accidentally requesting that the installed set of packages expand rather
> than contract.

Hmm.  I wonder if a quick-n-dirty way to "fix" this is to add a
right-click context menu to the spinner, so that you can directly choose
"Uninstall" without traversing the entire cycle.  Rinse and repeat on
all the items you want to remove...

However, I think this is veering off into either 'setup' (e.g.
cygwin-apps@) or 'cygwin/X" (e.g. cygwin-xfree@) territory.

--
Chuck