Re: 1.7 setup.exe overwrites softlink for home

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Peter Wohlers wrote:
Since upgrading to 1.7, I keep seeing weird problems with deletion
of my homedir symlink.

Before running setup:
pwohlers@h1n1 ~
$ ll /
[...]
lrwxrwxrwx   1 Domain Users     18 2010-04-04 14:31 home ->
/cygdrive/d/Users/
[...]
After running setup:
[...]
Setup seems to have deleted the softlink for /home

Well... yes. That's probably a bit unfortunate. The current mechanism always creates a couple of directories if they don't already exist:

/home
If the directory couldn't be created because a non-directory file
uses the same name, it deletes that file and tries to create the
directory again.  It's not perfect, but at least we know that the
directories exist, afterwards.  We could add a mode which drops the
aggressive creation strategy, but I only see that *could* make sense
for home.

Um, so I suppose it's doing a test for symlinks specifically. Why not just test that /home is a directory via stat(), and if so, leave it alone? Perhaps it doesn't have stat() available and it would be extra work to cobble it together in that environment?

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com