Changing the home directory ($HOME)

Hi

I have cygwin pre installed on a pc I'm using.  I'd like to change the
home directory ($HOME) but I'm having some trouble finding where it's
been set.  Currently it points to a drive letter q: . I'd much prefer
to point it at /home/username.

When looking into previous messages i note that /etc/passwd is
mentioned a lot.  I've taken a look in this file and there isnt a
reference to my user ($user) in there.  I havn't managed to find info
on how to write new entries in this file.

Any suggestions on how else it may have been set or how to change it?

Thanks for your time

Phil