Re: Cygwin doesn't install gcc even though I select it

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 3/25/2010 3:59 PM, steenreem wrote:
>> Sorry I was unclear. "gcc4.exe" is also in /bin, together with
>> "gcc3.exe".
>> However there is no "gcc" symbolic link. I have tried copy and renaming
>> "gcc4.exe" to "gcc.exe" but that leads to the error "C compiler cannot
>> create executables"
>
> Reinstall gcc4 then.  You're missing stuff for some reason.

Ok I did that. There was still no "gcc" in /bin. However I did find the
files "set-gcc-default-3.sh" and "set-gcc-default-4.sh" there. I invoked
"./sh set-gcc-default-3.sh" from the bin directory inside cygwin. The
command ran but there is still no gcc file in /bin and I cannot run gcc from
cygwin.

I just reinstalled cygwin today. I deleted the old folder and ran the
setup.exe from scratch. The previous cygwin installation did not always have
the missing gcc problem. Maybe something remaining from my old installation
has caused the current cygwin to not install correctly?