Re: recvfrom + MSG_PEEK = broken?

On Mar 22 13:40, Eliot Moss wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 05:01:00PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Mar 22 10:56, Charles Wilson wrote:
On Mar 22 02:04, Charles Wilson wrote:
I've been tracking down a problem in xinetd. It appears to be an issue
with using MSG_PEEK in recvfrom() on UDP sockets.

Yes, that's a bug in Cygwin. The socket event handling got messed up when MSG_PEEK was used. I fixed that in CVS so it will be in 1.7.2.

Confirmed: fixes both my testcase, and the error in xinetd. Thanks for the quick turnaround! I was about ready to pull my hair out on this

Sure. I'm glad I had a simple testcase for a socket problem. If only somebody would come up with an equally simple testcase for the rsync problem...

I thought the rsync problem was due to the fact that select for write on pipes is unreliable.

The problem has been observed with rsync using socketpairs in the first place. The first reports claimed that building rsync with pipes fixed the issue. Only a later report on the list claimed that the problem still exists even with pipes. I don't dare to make any assumption of the actual reason :|

Right ... I am the one where building w/out socketpairs definitely fixes it. I on Windows 7, 64-bit, and have one BLODA item still installed (at your previous request so that we can check for bugs that were related to socketpair *completely* failing with rsync before -- back in November.)

Regards -- Eliot