Re: modification time of standard input is wrong

On Mar 17 19:15, Denis Excoffier wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:56:12PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>
> >> What impact?  I don't think there is any standard which requires
> a non
> >> filesystem based stream to have a current timestamp and a tool
> relying
> >> on that might be broken.  All our streams which are not backed by a
> >> filesystem w/ valid timestamps have an artificial timestamp of
> >> 2006-12-01 00:00:00.
> The file `algorithm.doc' within the gzip distribution states that
> "If input does not come from a regular disk file, the file
> modification time is set to the time at which compression started.".
>
> This has been reported to the `bug-gzip' mailing list (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gzip/2010-03/msg00000.html).
> In his answer, Eric Blake suggested that the bug might be in
> cygwin1.dll.

The quote does not imply that the input has to have that modification
date.  It only implies that the modification date of the output file
of the compression is set to the time the compression started.  That
has nothing to do with the timestamp of the input stream.

Corinna

Red Hat