RE: filenames with characters that have the high bit set

<snip>

> $ touch foo$'\xc3\xa9'
> $ ls -l
> total 0
> -rw-r-----+ 1 knellis knellis 0 2010-03-16 08:55 fooÃ
> $ test -f foo$'\xc3\xa9'
> $ echo $?
> 0
> $
>
> --Ken Nellis

The output, above, does not appear correct in my
Internet Explorer 7 rendering of the posting from the
archives, however the output appears correct in both the
Outlook e-mail posting I sent and that which I received.
IE7 is showing the output of the "ls -l" command
incorrectly as foo<U+00C3> (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH
TILDE), but Outlook shows it (correctly) as foo<U+00E9>
(LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE). It would seem that
character encoding is getting corrupted somewhere
between the Cygwin e-mail server and the archive
server.

--Ken Nellis