Re: incomplete/corrupted setup.exe

George Barrick wrote on 2010-03-14:

2010.03.14.12:14:09 EST

Hello Cygwin,

The output from 'wget -S' was:

$ wget -S http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
--2010-03-14 12:08:43--  http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
Resolving cygwin.com... 209.132.180.131
Connecting to cygwin.com|209.132.180.131|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  HTTP/1.0 200 OK
  Server: Web Filter Blocked Page

This is inconsistent and bogus. Someone writing the filter software should read the HTTP standards.

The Proxy blocks the page yet returns HTTP/1.0 200 OK, but should use a code >= 400, I's think that 502 Bad Gateway and 403 Forbidden are the best choices here.

     The setup.exe file that I received was actually a
web-page with some embedded scripts from the Cymphonix group.
They ask you to link to an e-mail page if you wish to report
a mis-characterized page or resource.

     I sent the e-mail, but I'm not expecting a response.
I've been through it before; they just ignore the requests.

Then a complaint to those who are responsible for setting up or subscribing to this Cymphonix stuff might be in order, to tell them it's not working properly, and that it corrupts data. Depending on exact circumstances and legislation, this may even be illegal.

--
Matthias Andree