Re: incomplete/corrupted setup.exe

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:12:42AM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Fifteen messages on this subject and counting.
>
>How long would it take just to install a temporary symlink for the guy?
>
>Something like
>
>cygwin-setup-1.7-2010.03.14.exe

You aren't thinking about the consequences of your suggestion.  It would
not scale.  What happens the next time there is a setup.exe update?  We
update the symlink too?  And if someone stops allowing the symlinked URL
we create a new one?  Do we need to keep the symlink around forever just
for this one person?  Do we offer this service to anyone who can't
download?

Plus, the way to fix a problem is to fix the problem not kludge around
it.  There was something wrong on the OP's end.  Finding out what was
wrong and fixing the problem is the way to make sure it won't happen
again.  There is no guarantee that creating a symlink would do that
(and judging by followon mail it probably wouldn't).

And, most importantly, WJM.

cgf