Re: Cygwin 1.7: Concurrency Issue with Shared State Initialization

Hi,

> Does the patch help?

As the issue is sporadic it's not that easy to come up with a conclusive
answer...

I downloaded http://cygwin.com/snapshots/cygwin1-20100309.dll.bz2,
unpacked and renamed the DLL and used it as drop-in replacement to the
1.7.1 DLL.

I experienced three times by now the effect that echo.exe "hangs" without
using significant CPU time. Attaching a MSVC debugger I could only find
out that in all three cases the executable stays in this endless loop:

7D6373D2  cmp         dword ptr ds:[7D6A0220h],edi
7D6373D8  jne         7D628061
7D6373DE  lea         eax,[ebp-28h]
7D6373E1  push        eax
7D6373E2  push        ebx
7D6373E3  call        7D61CCB1
7D6373E8  cmp         eax,ebx
7D6373EA  jge         7D6373D2

I'm sort of reluctant to present this information this way as I'm afraid
I'm to give someone a bum steer. However I haven't had this effect so far
with with the 1.7.1 DLL so it would be at least one possible explanation
that the patch has a bug showing up in the very sporadic case it is
supposed to fix.

Regards, Oliver