bash exits when test or [ ] is used in Windows Server 2008

Hello all,

I've just installed cygwin in Windows Server 2008, I've only selected
rpm-build and libintl-2 as additional packages. During install there are
no error messages.

Then when I start cygwin my home directory isn't made and no profiles
are created. And worse, when I try to start:

bash-3.2$ test -e

cygwin quits.

bash-3.2$ [ ]

does the same.

What could be wrong? I've tried reinstalling cygwin a few times.

Thanks in advance,
Dick