Re: Shared home dir, samba, and workgroups

Marco Atzeri wrote:
--- Mar 9/3/10, Wes Barris ha scritto:

Wes Barris wrote:
I use Cygwin 1.7 on my XP desktop system at
work. I like having the
same home directory on this Windows XP system as I do
on our Unix
server. The Windows XP system is a member of a
domain. The Unix
server is not. The Unix server is running Samba
and is configured
with a workgroup name. My home directory on the
Unix server is
mounted as a mapped network drive on the Windows XP
system.
Everything in the above setup is working
properly from the Unix server side and from the
Windows side when
working with Windows Explorer. I can create and
delete files via
Windows Explorer and they show up on the Unix side
with proper
ownership and permissions (as controlled by
Samba). Conversely,
I can create and delete files under Unix and access
these files
from Windows Explorer.

The problem is when I look at my mapped network home
directory
with Cygwin, my home directory files are owned by
nobody ('????????')
and have a group of nobody. I am guessing that
this is because my
Windows SID in /etc/passwd is the SID of my domain
user and since
the Samba server is not part of this domain the files
look like they
are from an unknown user.

In our Samba server there is a file (usermap) that
maps unix usernames
to windows usernames. This appears to be working
when working with
Windows Explorer. Why doesn't this work with
Cygwin? What is the
way to fix this? Do I somehow need to map my
unix username to a
windows SID? Do I need to turn off ntsec?

you need to map the WINDOWS SID to the UNIX username

so you need to add on /etc/passwd and etc/group
the right references.

see:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

I've read both of those pages many times. They don't appear to apply to my situation. What mkpasswd option(s) would you suggest? --local doesn't help map the Windows SID to the UNIX username, --domain doesn't do it.

Do I need to change
the mount options for /cygdrive?
Should I assume from the lack of any response that there is
no fix
for this?

-- Wes Barris

I should say no Marco