Re: mintty colors

On 3/2/2010 9:07 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
I have downloaded mintty-0.6-beta2-cygwin15.zip and read
mintty-0.5.8.pdf, but I don't see a way to change the ANSI color
palette other than to send escape sequences.  I could echo the
escape sequences in my ~/.bashrc, but mintty isn't the only terminal
I use.  I could wrap mintty in a shell script, but that seems a bit
of a kludge.  Is there some other way to configure mintty's colors
that I'm missing?

man mintty

CONFIGURATION
Most settings are chosen not through command line arguments but in the graphical options dialog, which can be reached via the context menu
or the window menu. Settings are stored in an INI-style configuration file that by default is located at ~/.minttyrc. This can be over-
ridden with the --config command line option. Settings are written to the file whenever the OK or Apply buttons are pressed in the
options dialog.

The following sections explain the settings on each pane of the options dialog. For each setting, its name in the config file is shown in
parentheses, along with its default value, e.g. Columns=80. For multiple-choice settings, the value representing each choice in the con-
fig file is shown.

   Looks
       Settings affecting mintty's appearance.

Colours
Clicking on one of the buttons here opens the colour selection dialog. In the config file, colours are represented as comma-sepa-
rated RGB triples with decimal 8-bit values (i.e. ranging from 0 to 255).

              - Foreground (ForegroundColour=191,191,191)
              - Background (BackgroundColour=0,0,0)
              - Cursor (CursorColour=191,191,191)

Use system colours instead (UseSystemColours=0)
If this checkbox is ticked, the Windows-wide colour settings are used instead of the colours chosen above. (These are the same
colours as used for example in Notepad.)

       Transparency (Transparency=0)
              Window transparency level, with the following choices:

              - Off (0)
              - Low (1)
              - Medium (2)
              - High (3)
              - Glass (-1)

The Glass option is only available on Vista and above with desktop compositing enabled. To make this reasonably usable, the glass colour
needs to be set to be as dark as possible in the Windows control panel: choose Personalize from the desktop context menu, click on Window
Color, turn the color intensity up to the maximum, show the color mixer, and turn the brightness down to black.

Opaque when focused (OpaqueWhenFocused=0)
Enable to make the window opaque when it is active (to avoid background distractions when working in it).

       Cursor (CursorType=2)
              The following cursor types are available:

              - Block (0)
              - Underscore (1)
              - Line (2)

       Enable cursor blinking (CursorBlinks=1)
              If enabled, the cursor blinks at the rate set in the Windows Keyboard control panel.

   Text
       Settings controlling text display.

Font selection
Clicking on the Select button opens a dialog where the font and its properties can be chosen. In the config file, this corresponds
to the following entries: