Re: How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Dave Korn wrote:
On 01/03/2010 23:08, Wes Barris wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:
On 01/03/2010 05:05, Wes Barris wrote:

What I normally end up doing is to list the directory with the '-n'
option that shows me the uid and gid information (in this case
both are 4294967295.  I manually edit the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files accordingly so that my directory listing looks like this:

drwxrwxrwt+ 1 wes admin 0 2010-01-10 17:13 Projects
  That suggests you set your uid and gid to 4294967295, aka -1, aka
'nobody';
that's probably not a good thing.
Hi Dave,

I changed my uid an gid in my passwd file to 4294967295 because that
is what ls -ln showed.  If that is not a good thing to do what is
the right thing to do?

Hi Wes,

    The right thing to do is to leave your uid/gid in the way that mkpasswd
and mkgrp choose, because that gives the cygwin dll the information it needs
to link them back to your actual user account in the windows OS permissions.
The other right thing to do is to then figure out what's going wrong with your
W: drive, and why the perms on it are wrong.  Is this some kind of network
drive, by any chance?

My W: drive is a mapped network drive. However, it is mapped to a share coming from the same physical computer. This drive contains all of my data including a folder that I wish to use as my home directory (W: is mapped to //mycomputer/share/home).

The contents of this drive was copied from my previous computer
on which I used the same username.  The file ownerships appear
to be ok when viewed though the Windows Explorer security tab.
I can create and delete files via Windows Explorer so the permissions
appear to be ok.  However, cygwin does not recognize the same files
as being owned by me.
--
Wes Barris