Re: How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Pavel Kudrna wrote:
Wes Barris wrote:
On 03/01/2010 12:05 AM, Wes Barris wrote:

I have installed cygwin on many systems.
a long listing of my home directory shows a bunch of '?' question marks
as the owner and group fields like this:

drwxrwxrwt+ 1 ???????? ???????? 0 2010-01-10 17:13 Projects
If you used Sysprep utility to clone to many PCs the problem is missing right for System account in / and below, see
<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-01/msg00485.html>
I have solved the problem by adding rights with the command
cacls "C:\Program Files\cygwin" /T /E /G SYSTEM:F
before running sysprep. After that minisetup (running under System account) can correct old SID in ACLs also in cygwin directories and question marks disappear.
With greetings
Pavel Kudrna

Hi Pavel,

I don't think that I understood anything you said.  I've never run
something called "Sysprep" (whatever that is).  Are you suggesting
that I need to run "cacls ..."?  What exactly will that do?
--
Wes Barris