Re: Bug: cygport fails when the working directory pathname contains spaces

On 02/10/2010 03:57 PM, Eric Backus wrote:
Marco Atzeri<marco_atzeri<at> yahoo.it> writes:

Don't use filename with a space inside is a WELL KNOWN
rule of any UNIX system.
If MS made a stupid decision, we should not follow it.

Regards
Marco

It really doesn't matter to me whether cygport supports filenames with spaces. And it is certainly true that filenames with spaces are relatively common on Windows systems, but relatively rare on unix systems.

Nevertheless, there is no rule about this.  Actually I believe POSIX allows
filenames to have *any* character in them except a directory separator '/' or
a terminating null '\0'.  It is well known that *robust* scripts should use
proper quoting to allow for things like spaces in filenames.

I think this is an old enough and dead enough thread to just let it lie. If you'd really like to pursue this on general principles, please find another forum to argue the merits. You don't want to be accused of trolling the Cygwin list looking for old topics to incite thread-wars over after all.

Holliston, MA 01746