Re: Is it possible to use any of the cygwin programs without changing registry?

On 02/10/2010 12:45 PM, breako wrote:

Hi, so the standard cygwin install is to run the setup. This puts some dll's on your file system and would also I presume update your registry.

Hm. Just because the installation puts a few incidentals in the registry doesn't
mean that it whole-heartedly relies on it to run. There is even less reliance on
the registry with 1.7.x than with 1.5.x. In fact, you should never need to go to
the registry to change something for Cygwin. Just forget that it's there.

I'd like to do be able to run some simple cygwin programs such as grep and
ls without having to run the set up and change my registry.

I am wondering if this is possible.

We *always* recommend installing via 'setup.exe' since that's the only way we can be sure you have a valid, consistent, and maintainable installation. If you want to copy files around in an unsupported manner, you're free to do so but when you start having problems, you'll be on your own to figure out why that's the case. But is it *possible* to install Cygwin without 'setup.exe' you ask? Of course. If you know what you're doing, there's nothing to stop you from doing so.

Holliston, MA 01746