Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:53:00AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Christopher Faylor sent the following at Friday, February 05, 2010 9:59 AM
>>>
>>>The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.
>>
>>And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something
>>else cause a DECREASE in traffic?  It seems like the opposite would be
>>true.  We'd have to set up a new
>>"cygwin-what-happened-to-setup.exe@cygwin.com" list.
>
>Actually, for a while I've thought that a name change might be useful.
>
>The icon identifies it in the GUI, but not on the command line.
>
>I seem to remember having sometimes being blocked from doing something
>with a file named setup.exe.  I wasn't blocked after I changed the name
>or find some other way to do whatever I was trying to do with it.
>
>(Though maybe it was with a different "setup.exe".)

Your experiences notwithstanding, obviously thousands of people are
running setup.exe without problem.  Changing the name would throw a
large group of people into confusion.

We're not going to change the name.  I think the cost outweighs any
benefit (and I actually don't see any benefit).

cgf