Re: document side effects of incomplete implementations in regtool and cyglsa-config, suggest a manual restore procedure

On Jan 27 12:24, Ilguiz Latypov wrote:

> The current cyglsa-config script does not detect a failure in regtool that cannot read the LSA Authentication Packages registry entry,
>
>   $ regtool get /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Lsa/Authentication\ Packages
>   Error (2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>
>   $ cat /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Lsa/Authentication\ Packages
>
>   $ reg query 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa' /v 'Authentication Packages'
>
>   ! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
>
>   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
>       Authentication Packages     REG_SZ  msv1_0
>
> As a consequence, cyglsa-config drops "msv1_0" from the key value because it succeeds in setting it with the wrong set of values.
>
> (I am not sure why my entry has type REG_SZ while I see online posts mentioning type REG_MULTI_SZ).
>
> Whether regtool and cyglsa-config are fixed or not, I am suggesting to document the side effects resulting from the corrupt entry value or from the possible bugs in the added DLL.  I spent many hours trying to find the cause of these effects.  The suggested documentation addition is attached.

Here's another idea.  Since you're the one having the problem and
being able to reproduce it, why don't you fix the cyglsa-config
script instead to recognize this situation and handle it gracefully?
That would be much more helpful than a longish paragraph explaining
what could go wrong if it goes wrong.

Corinna

Red Hat