Re: Need help building emacs with system malloc

On 12/9/2009 10:52 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
Emacs by default uses its own malloc, but the emacs developers have suggested that I try to build it so that it uses Cygwin's malloc. (See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-12/threads.html#00369 for the context if you're curious.) When I try to do this, the build fails as follows:

gcc -o temacs ecrt0.o dispnew.o frame.o scroll.o xdisp.o menu.o window.o charset.o coding.o category.o ccl.o character.o chartab.o cm.o term.o terminal.o xfaces.o emacs.o keyboard.o macros.o keymap.o sysdep.o buffer.o filelock.o insdel.o marker.o minibuf.o fileio.o dired.o filemode.o cmds.o casetab.o casefiddle.o indent.o search.o regex.o undo.o alloc.o data.o doc.o editfns.o callint.o eval.o floatfns.o fns.o font.o print.o lread.o syntax.o unexcw.o bytecode.o process.o callproc.o region-cache.o sound.o atimer.o doprnt.o strftime.o intervals.o textprop.o composite.o md5.o sheap.o terminfo.o lastfile.o vm-limit.o getloadavg.o -lcurses -lg `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name` -lm -lc `gcc -print-libgcc-file-name`
vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `___after_morecore_hook'
vm-limit.o:vm-limit.c:(.text+0x6c): undefined reference to `___morecore'

Is this one of those situations where the libraries are listed in the wrong order in the gcc command? Or is there something else going on? I'm attaching my .cygport and .src.patch files in case it's more subtle and someone else wants to give it a try.

There's no need to answer right away unless the problem is obvious. I think something is going wrong in the configuration so that Cygwin's malloc.h never gets included.

Ken