SOCK_RAW raw socket and cygwin

I've written a linux app using IP packet with custom protocol (i.e. not udp, not tcp, etc) using SOCK_RAW socket. I can compile app in cygwin and it opens sockets and reads and writes without any errors but wireshark shows no data traversing the interface (not even local loopback).  Is it possible to use a SOCK_RAW in cygwin for read and write of IP packets? I've seen some prior discussion about raw sockets and proper admin privileges - I am admin of this machine so I should be able to set privileges as required.