Re: Confusion re: use of rebaseall vs. rebase to relieve BitDefender woes REDUX

Ed Gaines wrote:

Any reason I can't run the rebase and peflags commands from with cmd.exe? Are
they "pure" windows executables, in other words?

I can't stand it.

In order to answer my own question cited above, I went back and ran a cmd.exe
window as administrator, and then tried to run rebase from within it:

    C:\cygwin>bin\rebase -d -b 0x61000000 -o 0x20000 -v -T dll_so.in > rebase.out
    ./bin/cyglsa64.dll: fixing bad relocations
    FixImage (./bin/cyglsa64.dll) failed with last error = 13

Okay, I expected that.  It happened last time, too.  So I edited the dll_so.in
file (with notepad) and removed cyglsa64.dll, and reran the above rebase command.
And got a result that I did NOT, expect:

    C:\cygwin>bin\rebase -d -b 0x61000000 -o 0x20000 -v -T dll_so.in > rebase.out
    ReBaseImage (./bin/cygwin1.dll) failed with last error = 6

As before, I searched for open cygwin dlls before and after running rebase. I
couldn't find any at all.  I tried searching for these dlls DURING the rebase,
but unfortunately the rebase command completes before the dll search completes.
So even though the dll search never found cygwin1.dll, I can't say for sure that
cygwin1.dll was NEVER in use during the process.

I'm just about ready to concede that, for whatever reason, I can't run cygwin
and BitDefender simultaneously on my Win 7 box.  Period.

-- Ed