Re: Hippo icon for cygwin...

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>> Might this file:
>> Â 1a652c4c8c31b80c85d6cbc2b4093060 *hippo.ico
>> be somehow malformed? My computer BSODs every time I try to view
>> it in 'irfanview'. This has happened three times in a row.
>
> BSOD? Well, *any* BSOD is by definition a bug inside ring 0 (e.g. the
> core Windows kernel, or a graphics driver. ÂSo, it isn't *.ico's fault.
>
> Still, it'd be good to avoid...

Not necessarily.  A BSOD can be caused by any faulty driver,
application, or service in the system.  It can also be caused by
faulty hardware.  Bad ram will cause memory corruption and make
programs or drivers fail to run properly.  I have diagnosed BSOD
errors before and tracked them down to both faulty ram and faulty hard
drives.  Using windbg to identify the culprit helps.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org
CAcert Assurer
"A perfect world is one of chaos."