[1.5.17] sshing doesnt work for pub/priv key. Password works. Win2003

Hi,

I'm having an issue ssh'ing into a cygwin box.
It was running Windows 2000 and was upgraded to Windows 2003.
When I turn on debugging the last lines I get are this:

-- snip --
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug3: sign_and_send_pubkey
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
-- snip --

I can ssh in and use a password via putty, but if I try this from a server
it'll automatically try to use a key and die.
I've tried 3 different pub/priv keys.

I've done other searches on the net and found a few ideas (uninstall ssh
and re-install and run ssh-host-config, an article from u of waterloo about
setting it up for win2003, changing permissions of windows/unix users)
without any luck. We've even tried to do a fresh install and even that
didn't help.

any ideas?

--
Robert Westendorp