Re: Base-Files (was Re: Unset TMP/TEMP in profile?)

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 07:21:40PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Dec 2 18:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote in another thread about setting LANG:
... Andy and Thomas, please work
out the best solution together. It should work in sh and csh. Then
post it as reply to http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-12/msg00090.html so
John can put it into the base-files package.
Our worked-out proposal is as follows:

/etc/profile.d/lang.sh:

# if no locale variable is set, indicate terminal charset via LANG
test -z "${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-$LANG}}" && export LANG=C.UTF-8

/etc/profile.d/lang.csh:

# if no locale variable is set, indicate terminal charset via LANG
( test $?LC_ALL = 0 || test -z "$LC_ALL" ) && ( test $?LC_CTYPE = 0 || test -z "$LC_CTYPE" ) && ( test $?LANG = 0 || test -z "$LANG" ) && setenv LANG C.UTF-8
Thanks to both of you.

I wasn't paying attention before, so I apologize for not commenting
sooner but couldn't all of the above be one test statement or at least
handled inside '{}' rather than '()'. Maybe bash optimizes that away
but, if it doesn't, then forking subshells will be rather expensive on
Cygwin.
For bash and other sh-alike shells, test is a built-in, but not for tcsh - sorry I did not consider this.
So an if statement should be used. I don't see, however, how {} would help - if you mean to embed an invocation of test
in an if expression, that doesn't help because test would still be forked.
The expression if ( $?LC_ALL == 0 || "$LC_ALL" == "" ) on the other doesn't work if LC_ALL is undefined because
|| inside an expression is not a conditional or, at least not with respect to variable substitution.
So I propose to neglect the unlikely possibility of an empty variable setting here and just test whether any of them is defined:

if ( $?LC_ALL == 0 && $?LC_CTYPE == 0 && $?LANG == 0 ) setenv LANG C.UTF-8

Thomas