Re: 1.7.0(0.214/5/3) cron service appears to be working, but no results are found

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry W. Virden"
To: "Cygwin"
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 15:28

|I have been struggling to get Cygwin 1.7 cron to execute. I've been working with the admin who
has rights to install Cygwin to get things set up appropriately. After another round of changing
things, what I am now seeing are application event log entries that _appear_ to indicate that
the cron service is running. That is, I see entries that show what appears to be the command
running. The entry is listed as informational. No errors appear in the event log entry.

| However, when I try a simple thing like
| 12 15 * * * /usr/bin/mkdir /tmp/TEST.cron
|
| just so I can see if things are working, the time comes and goes and the
| directory isn't created. Not only that, but /var/log/cron.log is empty as is
/var/log/cygserver.log .

| I am attaching the cronbug.txt file to this posting. I was wondering whether anyone could see
something in the setup described that might still be causing the peculiar behavior.

| One additional note. When I run the cronbug, I see these messages:
| The report is written to the file ./cronbug.txt
| /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'TapiSrv': Win32 error 5
| Access is denied.
|
| WARNING: The Windows application log contains cron
| related errors. Lookup the details in ./cronbug.txt
|
| I think that the "application log" errors may be referring to the errors that were occurring
when we were previously attempting to get cron running but with an incorrect user.

| I have looked several times and haven't seen any errors from today; but I also still don't see
the directory I was expecting to see.

Larry,

Everything looks fine to me. Cron runs, reloads the crontab when it changes and execs the
commands.
I have no idea about the "OpenService failed for 'TapiSrv': Win32 error 5", but I don't think it
matters.
It's normal that /var/log/cron.log is empty, errors are logged in the Windows log.

Just to make sure, you are running Cygwin 1.7. Did you ever have Cygwin 1.5 on this machine and
use cron? I want to exclude any strange interference between the two services.

So either the exec fails (unfortunately that is not reported) or some error occurs. Are there
any cron related files in /tmp or in the home directory of lwv27 ? If so do they contain useful
info?

Cron has been reported to work fine under Cygwin 1.7. We don't have a lot of experience with it,
but I don't see why the switch would matter.

Pierre