Re: grep --color=auto with -i option disables the matching text color

On 2009-11-23, Morten Kjærulff wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Alan Fay <emptyset@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > I was trying to enable colors on the matching text for grep, and can't
> > get the formatting to work with the matching text.
> >
> > # Partial contents of .zshenv
> > export GREP_OPTIONS="--color=auto"
> > export GREP_COLORS='mt=1;34'
> >
> > # Problem command, no matching text (mt) appearing bold/blue, run in a
> > C# solution:
> > $ grep -R -n -i -e "functionFoo\(" --include=*.cs --exclude-dir=Logs *
> >
> > # Command that works and highlights matching text, note that -i option disabled
> > $ grep -R -n -e "functionFoo\(" --include=*.cs --exclude-dir=Logs *
> >
> > My superuser inquiry:
> > http://superuser.com/questions/73261/grep-colorauto-with-i-option-disables-the-matching-text-color-why
> >
> > This problem was found with the following program/platform versions:
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 *** 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin
> >
> > $ grep --version
> > GNU grep 2.5.3
> >
> > $ zsh --version
> > zsh 4.3.9 (i686-pc-cygwin)
> >
> > Windows Vista Business
> > Service Pack 2
> >
> > Feel free to email me with anything that's missing. ?I'm not sure if
> > this is a bug with Cygwin on Vista or perhaps grep. ?I didn't find
> > much past the man pages on google with respect to grep colorization
> > (on any platform).

> could be the same as "my" problem:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-10/msg00548.html

This appears to be a grep problem and not a Cygwin problem as it
fails for me using grep 2.5.4 on a Red Hat Linux system:  Matches
are not colored if the -i option is used and the pattern contains
any upper-case letters.

You might check the grep project page at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/.  I didn't see it among the
reported bugs.  If you don't see it there, either, go ahead and
report it.

Regards,
Gary