Re: crontab 1.12 issuing error about

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry W. Virden"
To: "Cygwin"
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 8:56

| My administrator has been trying to get the cron service to run on our cygwin 1.7
environments. After installing the various packages, he performed the permission changes on my
machine on /etc/passwd,
| /etc/group, /var, /var/cron, /var/cron/tab.
|
| When cron-config runs, he sees:
| $ cron-config
| Cron is already installed as a service under account CAS\Olentangy.
| Do you want to remove or reinstall it? (yes/no) no
| Running cron_diagnose ...
| ... no problem found.
|
| Do you want to start the cron daemon as a service now? (yes/no) yes
| cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
| The service did not start due to a logon failure.

<snip>

| Then, he ran
|
| $  cygrunsrv.exe -S cron
| cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
| The service did not start due to a logon failure.
|
| (He is logged in as ntsa13; I am logged in as lwv27).
|
| Next, per the instructions, I ran cronbug. This gave me a file, which I'm attaching, and the
following error was output to stderr rather than into the file.

| /cygdrive/c/products/cygwin_1.7/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'TapiSrv':
Win32 error 5
| Access is denied.
|
| I've checked the events viewer on this machine, and the only crontab related events are the
ones mentioned in the cronevents output, which are, as I mentioned, the BEGIN EDIT, REPLACE, END
EDIT, LIST messages.

| We are not certain what the next step should be.

Up to now you have only described Windows problems:
CAS\Olentangy probably cannot login as a service or has the wrong password
and there is some permission issue using cygrunsrv for querying.

You didn't explain what you did that caused cron to run under CAS\Olentangy
and you never got to the point where cron was running and producing any output.

As you have Windows XP you could run the cron daemon under the system account.

To debug the TapiSrv error, could you run
cygcheck -srv
and
cygrunsrv --list --verbose
and see if they produce that error?
You may have to redirect stdout to /dev/null to isolate stderr.

Pierre